Formatting of multi-marker indexes...

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Tue Feb 1 20:19:28 PST 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Scott Prentice wrote:

> Hi...
>
> If you create an index from multiple marker types, is there a way to apply
> different formatting to the resulting entries from each marker type? Like, is
> there a way to assign one reference page to be the formatting for the "Index"
> markers and another reference page to be the formatting for the "OtherIndex"
> markers?
>
> I'm thinking the answer is no .. but wanted to check with y'all.

See Richard's excellent post on this.

To summarize, you'll need to embed format command information in each
source marker.

<small commercial>

If you want to do this en masse, you could have IXgen selectively
bring all the markers of a given type into its "Editable Marker List"
utility, and then apply a character tag appropriate for the desired
marker formatting. (In just a few mouse clicks this character tag
could be applied to all the markers collected during this pass.)

Then, when you apply the Editable Marker List back to the source
documents, IXgen will convert the character tagging into the embedded
format commands needed by FM to format marker text in the
final IX document.

(This character tag/embed format command conversion feature was added
in IXgen 7. And, as a sanity check, you can toggle between tagging and
embeded commands before you apply the marker list.)

You could repeat this for each special marker type in use, assuming
you had more than one "othermarker" type and wanted unique formatting
for each.

</small commercial>

Hope that helps,

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  http://www.fsatools.com