Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Helen Borrie helebor at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 3 17:40:08 PST 2011

At 01:38 PM 4/02/2011, Ann Zdunczyk wrote:
>I worked for Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent as a technical writer and I am
>very familiar with POTS!!! It is what we called them.

That label is on one of the sockets on my Belkin ADSL router, which supports VOIP.  I had to look it up to discover that it meant "for the landline phone". I don't think it's close to being an everyday term yet, though. ;-)

BTW, "non-mobile" doesn't cover all landline phones, either.  Our landline phone is a RF transmitter with two cordless handsets!  I always stow one of the handsets in my jeans pocket when I'm outside weeding the garden!  (Mobile phone, a.k.a. cellphone, in the other pocket.)

Helen