Hyperlinking Between Frame and MS Word Source

Mon Feb 7 09:01:55 PST 2011

Writer wrote:

> Forget the ePublisher side of things for now. I'd like to know if you can
> link/xref/whatever from a point INSIDE an FM file to a point INSIDE a Word
> file, and vice versa.

Are you really wanting to link to a place inside a Word file, or are you wanting to link to a place inside a help file whose _source_ is Word?

Angela was wanting to do the latter. As I pointed out, that's easily done using a hypertext command in FM, e.g.:

	Message URL SomeHTMLPage.html#12345

In the HTML output (I'm assuming some kind of HTML-based help system here), this turns into something like this:

In the Word source for the destination HTML page, you need to do something to add an anchor tag to the intended destination, e.g.:

	<a name="12345">Destination of Link</a>

I know how to do that in FM, but not in Word -- although I'm sure there's a way, maybe using bookmarks.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom