WebWorks 7 & Character Mapping

Brad Anderson brad at frameusers.com
Tue Feb 8 08:26:35 PST 2011

Framers,

For those of you old-time WebWorks folks on the list.   I have a friend that is still using Frame 7 and WebWorks Publisher 7 to produce HTML.  The process has been working splendidly for the past 10 years.  I've recently had to do a bit of updating for him, and I'm having trouble with some of the special characters.  I think it is due to the special font mapping that FrameMaker had internally.   Most characters can be mapped fine by looking in the Windows Character Map utility or in the FrameMaker Character Set PDF.    However, there are a couple of characters that I cannot find the \u code for.   The stickiest is the degree symbol.

If I use the \u00B0 WebWorks just blows by it and the degree (°) is output but then renders incorrectly in the browser.

I believe this to be the result of FrameMaker internal character mapping.  If I copy the degree symbol from the character map and paste it into Frame, it converts to something other than the degree.   If I use the masculine ordinal indicator (º) (it looks very close to the degree), everything works fine.

If anyone know how to find out which characters are mapped in Frame and how to intercept, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brad