<$volnum> needs one numbering format in heading and different format in page number

LW White lwwhite5 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:32:57 PST 2011

I'm working with a template that uses <$volnum> in section headings, where it is capital Roman (I, I, III...). <$volnum> is also used in page numbers in the footer, where it needs to be Arabic (1, 2, 3...). I'm pretty sure it is not possible to assign the same variable different numbering formats within a document. The only workaround that comes to mind is to use another variable in the page numbers, such as <$chapnum> and format it Arabic. Then instruct users that they must always ensure <$volnum> and <$chapnum> are in sync. Is there any other approach I'm simply not thinking of?

Thanks,
Leigh