<$volnum> needs one numbering format in heading and different format in page number

Michael Lewis mlewis at brandle.com.au
Mon Feb 14 18:39:34 PST 2011

I question the rationale behind such a design. If the same information is
represented differently in two different settings, you are surely going to
create confusion rather than communication.

Michael Lewis
Department of Linguistics
Macquarie University

> I'm working with a template that uses <$volnum> in section headings, where
it is capital Roman (I, I, III...). <$volnum> is also used in page numbers in
the footer, where it needs to be Arabic (1, 2, 3...). I'm pretty sure it is
not possible to assign the same variable different numbering formats within a
document. The only workaround that comes to mind is to use another variable in
the page numbers, such as <$chapnum> and format it Arabic. Then instruct users
that they must always ensure <$volnum> and <$chapnum> are in sync. Is there
any other approach I'm simply not thinking of?