FM9 and 3D images in PDFs

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Wed Feb 16 11:11:10 PST 2011

FM 9 Version: 9.0p255
Unstructured
OS: Windows 7, 64 bit (brand new machine)
FM Experience: 22 months

Mechanical, Manufacturing, Service and Tech Comm personnel are talking to a supplier about a new piece of software called 3DVia Composer. It will take CAD drawings from SolidWorks and allow each of us to create 3D images per our individual needs. In my case I need to create 3D mechanical drawings that show how to fix certain aspects of our products. (Apparently we don't have to be able to use the CAD program to do this.)

According to the Frame 9 manual, I can use U3D files in Frame and use "Save as PDF" to create files with a 3D image.

The 3DVia guys sent me some simple samples and I couldn't get them to work as 3D images.

Compounding this is the fact that when I create the Service Manuals, I can't use "Save as PDF" because I need to accommodate files with different paper sizes in the book file (the "Print Book" then Distill option failed the 3D test as well).

I've downloaded a trial for Frame 10, but before I install it, I thought I'd try this List for help. Frame 9 suits my purposes very well and I'm not a great believer in updating just for the sake of it. Besides, as a single seat server version of 3DVia Composer is at least $8,000, the fewer other updates we need, the better chance we have of getting management onside.

Does anyone out there use 3D images in their PDFs? If so, how do you do it? Any tips you could pass along would be appreciated.

Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
130 - 4311 Viking Way