x-refs in structured FM v7.2

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:28:29 PST 2011

This behavior is absolutely correct. When you create an x-ref in FrameMaker, the tool has to place a (semi-)uniquely numbered marker at the target location that the x-ref is pointing to. If you do not save the file that the marker was inserted into (e.g., close it without saving it, or if you are working on a non-live copy of the file) the necessary target marker will not be present in the file the next time FrameMaker tries to resolve/refresh the x-ref.
IOW, you *must* use the actual file rather than a copy, and you *must* permanenetly save the changed version of the file (the one the marker was created in). I advisedly use "permanently save" because it's easy to forget to check in a file that wasn't explicitly modified when you're using some sort of CMS.

-Fred Ridder