Moving FM9 to New Computer - Deciding on OS

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Jan 5 17:28:39 PST 2011

I am not knowledgeable of the specific question you asked - about whether FM 9 will work in XP Pro 64 on a new computer (with today's hardware).

But:

	Have you considered that the new computer may not work (from a _hardware_ perspective) with XP Pro 64? You may find that it has new hardware elements for which there are no XP Pro 64 bit drivers - including video drivers or disk drivers, etc.

And these possibly _never_ will be provided ... that OS is way too old for most manufacturers to support now for new hardware. And, this is likely to be a bigger show-stopper than an old application not running under Windows 7!

	Why do you need an extra $1000 in upgrades? In almost all the cases I know of, the application programs that run under XP Pro should work just fine in Win 7. I am running very reliably on a new laptop running Windows 7 64-bit on all my old and new applications - absolutely _nothing_ failed to work!

	Also, my son's two systems (one is 5+ years old and now runs Windows 7 32-bit, and the other is a few weeks old and runs Windows 7 64-bit) handle his old graphics-intensive video games, designed for XP, just fine too!

	And, if you do have any problems with any given application in Windows 7, you can set XP Pro SP3 compatibility mode to the specific executables that are of concern. Your IT department should know how to do this easily.

	And, finally, there is something new in Win 7 (an add-on from Microsoft) called "XP Mode" that can run other old apps too, if you have problems with just setting compatibility mode.

So ... most importantly ... have you tested the specific other apps you are concerned about, in Windows 7, to see if the upgrades are indeed required?

Bottom Line (IMHO):

XP Pro is simply too old an OS for many newer applications ... whereas older applications can generally be tweaked to run fine under Windows 7. In your shoes, I would move to Windows 7 and figure out how to bring the older apps along to it. But, without actual testing, I cannot say this with certainty in your case.

So, my suggestion would be to load the Windows 7 64-bit, load the applications, see how they do, and then see if you need to go _back_ to XP Pro on that new system. Yeah, you might waste some time perhaps, but the end outcome is _likely_ to be just fine!

Regards,