FrameMaker9 Character Set - GTE

DeRosier, Edward Edward.DeRosier at anritsu.com
Thu Jan 13 11:01:53 PST 2011

Hi Framers,

I am haing a problem with the character set in FrameMaker 9 (TCS2).

The character set document lists the same keystrokes as in previous FM
sets for Greater Than or Equal To (GTE).
The GTE character is created in standard font, and is then changed to
"Symbol" font.

[Ctrl][q] [3]  =>  GTE  (this produces a small box)
or
[Alt][0179]    =>  GTE  (this works)

[Ctrl][q] [#]  =>  LTE  (this works)
or
[Alt][0163]    =>  LTE  (this works)

Problem:
  [Ctrl][q] [3]  ==>  S with caron, but not GTE in Symbol font
  [Alt][0179]    ==>  superscript 3, and also GTE  in Symbol font

In my past experience, the S with a caron accent was changed to GTE in
Symbol font.
Now, however, this produces a small box in Symbol font when created by
using [Ctrl][q] [3].
While the ASCII character work-around is available, I am concerned with
opening FM7.2 documents in FM9.  Will previously created GTE characters
be lost?
This is important because we are just beginning to use FM9, and all of
our previous FrameMaker documents were created with FM7.2.

I have opened a book of files (created with FM7) in FM9, updated the
entire book and saved all files.  Then I checked the GTE characters, and
they looked fine.  Trying to add additional GTE symbols resulted in the
same problem when using [Ctrl][q] [3].
This seems to indicated that the GTE symbols are "safe", but I am
suspicous of this new behavior and seek assurances.

My system:
Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2
Version 9.0p230

Windows XP Professional
Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Dell
Intel Core2 Duo CPU
E8500 @ 3.16GHz
3.25 GB RAM

Is anyone else experiencing this same behavior with FM9 ?

We are a small group of tech writers, and we are all experiencing the
same behavior of FM9.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Ed DeRosier
Senior Technical Writer