Indexing front matter

Thu Jan 13 15:36:38 PST 2011

Nancy Allison wrote:

> My manuals use chapter numbering, so an index entry for page 3 of chapter 5
> comes out like this:
>
> Apple pie recipe, 5-3
>
> The front matter has roman numerals with no prefixes, so a reference to
> Technical Support in the Preface should look like this:
>
> Technical Support, xiii
>
> However, because the Index marker set up on the Reference page assumes
> there is a chapter number prefix for every entry, the Technical Reference
> Support looks like this:
>
> 4-xiii, or 1-xiii, or 0-xiii
>
> depending on how I set the numbering property.
<snip>

It's been a while since I used folio numbering. If I'm remembering correctly, the process is something like this:

1) Create a new marker type named IndexFront.
2) Create a new paragraph format named IndexFrontIX that's a clone of IndexIX and add it to your pgf catalog.
3) In your ref page IX flow, add an IndexFrontIX pgf that contains only <$pagenum>.
4) In the book window, right-click your index file and select Set Up Standard Index.
5) In the dialog box, add IndexFront to the Include list and click Set.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.