OT: Wireless headset

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 06:01:38 PST 2011

Shmuel Wolfson wrote:

> Bluetooth is the best option if you already have bluetooth in your
> computer. If not, the standard wireless mouse or keyboard comes with a
> piece that you plug into your computer that transmits, and has nothing
> to do with bluetooth.

Umm, no. In the first place, the USB device that comes with a wireless keyboard or mouse is a *receiver*, not a transmitter. Keyboards and mouses are *input* devices that transmits signals *to* the computer, just the opposite kind of interface from what Rick needs for headphones.

But besides that, the easiest and least expensive approach doesn't use Bluetooth at all. The direct approach is to use a set of wireless headphones designed for hi-fi/TV use and simply plug the transmitter box into the computer's audio jack instead of a pair of wired headphones. This approach is also more versatile than one that uses USB or Bluetooh because it can also be used with your TV for quiet late-night viewing (valuable for night owls like me). There are IR and RF models available from a variety of companies, but I'd recommend sticking with one of the companies who have been making similar products for years for the theater and museum markets, namely Sennheiser and Sony. IR systems are usually simpler and cheaper, but they are strictly for same-room use. RF systems are usually more expensive and may be more subject to interference (depending on what frequency band they use), but allow you to continue listening if you walk out of the room.

If connecting to the analog audio output is not desirable for some reason, there are lots and lots of headsets designed for gaming purposes, some using Bluetooth, some using WiFi, some designed to use a USB port. The possible downside is that there are usually head*sets*, meaning headphones with an attached boom mic. If you're only going to be listening, the mic is just an annoyance. But if you have a mic you may find yourself more inclined to use VoIP, since you'd never have to take the headset off at all.

-Fred Ridder