FM8: Bookmarks problem

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:42:45 PDT 2011

I think you are runnign up against one of FrameMaker's undocumented features.

When you generate a PDF, FrameMaker passes bookmark data to Acrobat for all the tag names that are set in the book file's PDF Setup, *plus* data for any additional tags in a specific chapter if that chapter's file-level PDF Setup. This behavior has been this way for a while--at least since FrameMaker 6 and Acrobat 6, which was the first time I came up against it--and was apparently done as a feature (although it is completely undocumented).

If you look at the PDF Setup for the TOC file, I am certain you will see all of the ...TOC styles in the "Include" list box on the Bookmarks tab. Just move them to the "Don't Include" list and then save the TOC file with these changes. When you next make the PDF, the TOC entries should be gone from the bookmarks list.

At my previous employer I actually used this undocumented feature to improve the usability of the bookmarks in a handful of our documents that had atypical organizations. The book-level PDF Setup include the bookmarks to be picked up from *every* chapter, but a couple of chapters had additional, specialized tags identified in their book-level PDF Setup.

The annoying thing is that under some set of circumstances I've never identified (because it is pretty rare), FrameMaker spontaneously adds a bunch of errant tags to the PDF Setup bookmarks list for some specific file, like the ...TOC tags in your TOC file. Unless you know the cause you'll spend many hours trying to get the bookmarks to behave (or deleting the errant ones from the PDF each itme you publish). But now you know...

-Fred Ridder