A footnote problem in PDF Bookmark and FM TOC

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jul 25 07:08:32 PDT 2011

On 22/07/2011 2:39 PM, Brian Chan wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Frame 9 running on XP.
>
> I have a section titled "Basic Windows* Terminology" where the *
> (asterisk) is a footnote.
>
> In the PDF bookmark, only "Basic Windows" appears. The asterisk and the
> word "Terminology" disappear.

Is the full phrase visible in the PDf on the page where that content
appears?  (I.e., is it getting lost entirely from the document, or just
from the bookmark?)

I wonder if the asterisk, being formatted as a footnote indicator, is
being interpreted as the change of char tag that normally ends a
hyperlink hotspot.  How does Ctrl-Alt-click behave in the FM file?

> And in the TOC, the asterisk is missing. It only says "Basic Windows
> Terminology."

That behaviour makes sense to me -- why would you want a footnote
indicator carried into a TOC entry?  It's only meaningful on the page
where the footnote content actually appears.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

http://www.phoenix-geophysics.com