Need help with crash diagnosis

Sun Jul 24 21:54:39 PDT 2011

FM 7.2, Win 7

I'm trying to create a PDF from a book that has been PDFed many times before, as recently as a week ago. Since then, I've made various updates throughout, and something has obviously changed for the worse. Each attempt to either save as PDF or print to PDF results in the same "serious error" crash of FM.

According to the Distiller logs, the job always ends on the same page. I can find nothing on that page or the one following it that hints at the problem. The changes in that section, IIRC, were simple text edits and the removal of a row from a table (maybe some other table changes).

Neither the backup nor the autosave version is any help (both too recent). A MIF wash didn't help. I'd rather not recreate that section from the corresponding one in the previous release (many months and changes ago). But if I must, I'd like to minimize the portion I need to recreate.

Thus my first question: It's been a very long time since I had such a problem, and I can't remember -- is the problem page the last page listed in the log file or the page after that?

Here's the end of the log file from the most recent failure:

%%[Page: 53]%%
%%[Page: 54]%%
%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%

Stack:
true

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

And my second question: Can anyone shed any light on the error itself that might help me find the source of the problem?

Thanks!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.