Need help with crash diagnosis

Baruch Brodersen baruch at technitext.com
Mon Jul 25 07:24:52 PDT 2011

Hi Richard,

According to Adobe (Troubleshooting Postscript Errps,
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328515.html)  "nostringval" indicates a problem
with an element of graphic. Try replacing the graphic on page 54 (or 55?).
If that doesn't work, it could be a corrupt font or glyph used on that page.

Best,
Baruch Brodersen

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Combs, Richard
<richard.combs at polycom.com>wrote:

> FM 7.2, Win 7
>
> I'm trying to create a PDF from a book that has been PDFed many times
> before, as recently as a week ago. Since then, I've made various updates
> throughout, and something has obviously changed for the worse. Each attempt
> to either save as PDF or print to PDF results in the same "serious error"
> crash of FM.
>
> According to the Distiller logs, the job always ends on the same page. I
> can find nothing on that page or the one following it that hints at the
> problem. The changes in that section, IIRC, were simple text edits and the
> removal of a row from a table (maybe some other table changes).
>
> Neither the backup nor the autosave version is any help (both too recent).
> A MIF wash didn't help. I'd rather not recreate that section from the
> corresponding one in the previous release (many months and changes ago). But
> if I must, I'd like to minimize the portion I need to recreate.
>
> Thus my first question: It's been a very long time since I had such a
> problem, and I can't remember -- is the problem page the last page listed in
> the log file or the page after that?
>
> Here's the end of the log file from the most recent failure:
>
> %%[Page: 53]%%
> %%[Page: 54]%%
> %%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%
>
> Stack:
> true
>

> %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
> %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
>
> And my second question: Can anyone shed any light on the error itself that
> might help me find the source of the problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Richard G. Combs
> Senior Technical Writer
> Polycom, Inc.
> richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
> 303-223-5111
> ------
> rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
> 303-903-6372
> ------

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/baruch%40technitext.com

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n
5 0 3  8 5 3  5 0 0 6