Corrupted graphics placement by reference

Tue Jul 26 07:33:11 PDT 2011

Phillip Norman wrote:

> I am using FrameMaker 5.5.6 in Windows 7 Home Premium. Within the past
> week, and never before, photo graphics placed by reference gray
> randomly in printing, and sometimes within Frame sessions. I can't
> print a document with as few as a dozen pictures, without a lost
> reference. I find slight control in re-importing graphics. Uninstall
> and re-install did nothing to help.
>
> I use FrameMaker daily to document work as a construction contractor,
> and must do something. I suspect a new computer or new hard drive might
> behave.

The usual recommendation for this is more memory. But I suspect what you need is either a newer version of FM or an older version of Windows. I'm using FM 7.2 on Win 7 (in Win XP SP3 emulation mode), and it's mostly trouble-free. But FM 5.5.6 is way older than that, and I'm surprised it's working on Win 7 at all.

I'd suggest getting a copy of Win XP, partitioning your hard disk (or adding a second), and setting up a dual-boot scenario where you can boot into Win XP to run FM or Win 7 to run newer apps. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, your friendly neighborhood computer store can probably fix you up for a reasonable fee. Certainly cheaper than buying FM 10. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom