Corrupted graphics placement by reference

Phillip Norman pjnorman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 07:29:13 PDT 2011

I believe my Windows 7 operation in FrameMaker v5.5.6 has been damaged by a
recent Windows 7 update, far enough back that I can't uninstall it. Graphics
gray randomly within FrameMaker, and especially in printing whether direct
or as PDF. I don't blame PDF creation for the graying.

My workspace:
FrameMaker 5.5.6 on Dell desktop Pentium Dual CPU @2.2 GHz, 4 GB  RAM,
32-bit OS, Windows 7 Professional, now with Windows Virtual PC to allow work
in Windows XP mode. PDF printing with Acrobat 8 Professional. The XP mode
option was added per this conversation, and that required upgrade from
Windows 7 Home Premium, to Professional.

Before the Windows 7 new adventures, I briefly installed a trial of Adobe
TCS 3, to try out FrameMaker 10. That resolved problems, but disagreeably
took over my computer. I could not do any productive work, not intending to
keep the upgrade. The Adobe UI is alien to me. I never use elements of Adobe
CS2 other than Acrobat 8 Professional. I much prefer Xara for photo graphics
editing. The graphics drawing tools are much better in v5.5.6 than in any
newer version, now little windows that seemed to lack even color control.
Upon uninstall, my Acrobat 8 was swept away. An online trial mode seemed
dysfunctional, so I was forced to take the time of the real upgrade.

Here are current observations:
The problem in Windows 7 was not affected by upgrade from Home Premium, to
Professional. A document with about seventy placed photos progressively
degraded in seven printings to PDF, saving each time. At this point the PDF
had nine grayed .jpg photos. The FrameMaker document had two grayed photos.
Then opening the corrupted FrameMaker document in XP mode, there were no
errors. Printing is error-free.

I can live with this setup, aggressively keeping v5.5.6. I will continue to
work first in Windows 7. All of my work, whether in Windows 7 or XP, will
remain in folders of the Windows 7 environment. I will hope a new Windows 7
update ends the corruption, and do not accept that v5.5.6 has weaknesses
justifying retirement.

This then, is a Windows issue, not of much interest to this forum. I hope
there was value in the reading. I am so grateful for the help from many
responders.

Phillip Norman
Attic Access
Portland, Oregon