FM10 performance with real-time spell checking

Keith Soltys keith at soltys.ca
Tue Jun 7 04:12:04 PDT 2011

I posted a review of FM10 on my blog this morning.

http://www.soltys.ca/blog/2011/06/framemaker-10-first-impressions.html

I noted that I was having a serious performance issue with real-time
spell-checking turned on, and that there was no "do not spellcheck" option
in the character and paragraph designers. A reader commented that you can
set language to "none", which turns of the spell checking.

I've tried it with a few of my character and paragraph formats and it does
seem to work and improve performance somewhat. FM10 with spell-checking on
is still slower than FM8, but it's now probably usuable, or will be once I
update some of my documents. I may need to create a DoNotSpellCheck
character style for use on some things that don't have any special
character formatting applied to them.

It never even occurred to me that Frame had a "none" option for languages.

Regards
Keith