FM10 performance with real-time spell checking

Keith.Soltys at tmx.com Keith.Soltys at tmx.com
Tue Jun 7 07:46:27 PDT 2011

> Keith Soltys wrote:
>
> > It never even occurred to me that Frame had a "none" option for
> > languages.
>
> This isn't new to FM10 or relevant only to real-time spell checking. The

> option has been there forever. I've worked mainly on software over the
> years and have often used a Code pgf format (and char format) with
> Language set to None. Believe me, when you're writing API docs with lots

> of chunks of code, it's invaluable. :-)
>
> Richard G. Combs

No kidding. I use the "Don't spellcheck" option in my Word templates. I've
been using Frame since about 1997 and somehow missed knowing about the
language having a "none" option.

In further testing, I've found that the problem I was having seems to be
caused by Frame flagging words in tables. I created a document using
greeked text (lorem ipsum ...) in paragraphs. Of course, most of the words
were flagged as spelling errors. There was no performance hit when the
text was in paragraphs. I then converted the text to 3-column tables and
found that paging through the document became much slower, with about a 2
second lag each time I paged down.

I've reported the issue to Adobe. I'd still like to see an explicit
setting for turning off spell checking for a style - I'm not sure that
setting the language to none wouldn't cause other problems (for example,
with translation software).

Regards
Keith
--
Keith Soltys
Senior Technical Writer

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.