Some links in PDF don't work

Beverly Robinson beverly_robinson at datacard.com
Wed Jun 8 11:41:28 PDT 2011

Windows XP SP3, TCS2 (FrameMaker 9.0p255, Acrobat Extended Pro 9.4.4, Distiller 9.4.2220), FrameMaker 8.0p277

Our service manuals have a main TOC and chapter TOCs on the first page of each chapter. The chapter TOC is generated by selecting Special | Table of Contents and then inserting the resulting .TOC file by reference into the first page of the chapter file.

The problem book was started in English FrameMaker v8, saved back to v7 to use as boilerplate in French FrameMaker v7. When the files were returned to us in the US, we opened them in FrameMaker v8 again and added the book and chapter TOCs. When we make a PDF of the book using the "Standard" .joboptions file, the first three chapters have relative links that don't work while the other two chapters have working links. This is true for both the book TOC and the chapter TOCs.

By "relative links" I mean that, in Acrobat Pro Extended with the Links tool selected, selecting a link and then pressing Ctrl+I and clicking the Actions tab displays similar to the following:
   Actions: Go to a page in another document
   File: c:\[folder name]\[chapter file name.pdf]
   Destination name: G1044809
Where the folder name is the working folder for the book. There is no "chapter file name.pdf" in that folder (which is probably why nothing happens). For TOC links that _do_ work, the Action is "Go to a page in this document."

By "don't work" I mean that left-clicking a link does not move to a different page of the PDF.

When we try to make the PDF from FrameMaker 9 we get an error message in Distiller:
   Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:
   /CheckCompliance out of range
We can't find that .joboptions file anywhere on our hard drive. Searching for "joboptions" in a MIF of a chapter file found only the Standard.joboptions that we specify when making the PDF.

We _can_ make a PDF from FrameMaker 8, but with the non-functioning link problems described above.

We tried MIF-washing the problem chapters but that didn't fix any of the problems. We tried removing the chapter TOC from one of the chapter files, but links in the book TOC still weren't functioning correctly. The results are the same whether we create the PDF by the 1-step or 2-step process.

My bag of tricks is empty. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Please reply to me as well as the list because I'm on digest and won't get the next one until after lunch tomorrow.

Thank you,
Beverly

NOTICE – This message and any attachment(s) are for authorized use by the intended recipient(s) only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  Unless you are an intended recipient, you may not use, copy, retain, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message and any attachment(s).  If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please immediately contact the sender and delete this message and any attachment(s).