Can not import PDF properties to book files

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 11:39:52 PDT 2011

I think what you are seeing is that the PDF Setup properties update only in an additive way when you import them from another file (or when you set them on the book level and expect them to reiple down to the individual component files).

If any file has extraneous tags selected in the PDF Bookmark properties, those tags will remain in that property set until/unless you manually delete them and save the file. When you generate a PDF, FrameMaker will pass bookmark data to Acrobat for all the tag names that are set in the book file's PDF Setup, *plus* data for any additional tags in a specific chapter if that chapter's file-level PDF Setup. If you import the relevant formatting properties from another file, FrameMaker will add to the bookmark list any tagds that are selected in the "template" file but not in the target, but *will not delete* andy tags that are selected in the target but not the "template".

This behavior has been this way for a while--at least since FrameMaker 6 and Acrobat 6, which was the first time I came up against it--and was apparently done as a feature (although it is completely undocumented). At my previous employer I actually used this feature to improve the usability of the bookmarks in a handful of our documents that had atypical organizations. The book-level PDF Setup include the bookmarks to be picked up from *every* chaptre, but a couple of chapters had additional, specialized tags identified in their book-level PDF Setup. Once I had this set up, it remained through all book update and import formats operations because the special tags don't get deleted.

The annoying thing is that under some set of circumstances I've never identified (because it is pretty rare), FrameMaker spontaneously adds a bunch of errant tags to the PDF Setup bookmarks list for some specific file. Unless you consistently inspect the bookmarks after generating your PDFs, you'll never catch this, and unless you know the cause you'll spend many hours trying to get the bookmarks to behave (or deleting the errant ones from the PDF each itme you publish).

-Fred Ridder