fonts and localization problems

Debra Laroche debra.laroche at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:28:56 PDT 2011

Hi Framers,

A colleague has asked me to help solve a problem that happens when documents
are translated into various Asian languages. Text with the convention we use
for code, which uses the CourierNew font, doesn't translate,
and instead renders as ???? in the translated versions of the English text.

Please take a look at the following information and let me know if you have
any workaround for this recurring problem.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

*Issue*: The English language documents use a character style called
TypeCommands that uses Courier New font for code snippets. When translated
into any of the double-byte languages, these code snippets show up as
“????”.

*Current Workaround*: Editing the character style to use Bold + Italics
formatting on the appropriate font for each language fixes this issue.
However, this process is time consuming and given the number of documents we
are turning around, it is just one more hurdle that holds us back each time
we need to regenerate the PDF after translation.

*Fonts for each Asian language*:

·         Chinese Traditional – PmingliU

·         Chinese Simplified – SimSun

·         Japanese – MS Mincho

·         Korean – GulimChe or BatangChe

*Authoring software*: FM 8 or FM 9

*Translation software*: MemoQ