nested alpha lists and bulleted lists within numbered lists

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Jun 23 09:21:29 PDT 2011

On 21/06/2011 1:22 PM, Joe Hughes wrote:
> I have encountered a numbering issue when I include a nested
> alphabetical list within a numbered list. To the best of my knowledge, I
> am using the correct numbering and list tags:
> Heading 4
> <n=1>.\t  (Numbered1)
> <n+>.\t    (Numbered)
> <a=1>.\t  (Numbered2)
> <a+>.\t    (Numbered3)
> •\t            (Bullet3)
> •\t
> •\t
> <n+>.\t    (Numbered)
> Output is as follows:
>
> *B. Offsetting Credit Found in _________ .*
>
>              1. Send out a cashier’s check. Make sure the case (credit
> case) is still open before creating an Official Check.
>
> 2. Inside the case notes type the following:
>
>         a. Ready to cut check C/W (case number is needed).
>
>         b. Check to see if we have a relationship the bank.
>
>           – If there’s a relationship, waive the fees.
>
>           – If not a relationship, contact the bank and informed the
> bank of the research fees.
>
>           – The fees can be deducted from the cashier check or the funds
> can be sent  for the research.
>
>         c. Click *______*.
>
> 4. Go into the ______ program and enter notes.
>
> This is an unstructured document. As you can see, Frame is reading the
> alpha list, or possibly item c., as a 3. in the numbered list, so it
> skips from 2. to 4. I've spent about an hour researching this and can't
> seem to find anything. Lacking an alternative, I've changed the alpha
> list to bullets and moved on. This corrects the problem and the final
> numbered item is 3., which is correct. However, there may be situations
> in the future in which I may need to use the Numbered - Alpha - Bullet -
> Numbered format.
> Suggestions anyone?

Hi Joe,

Others have given you the fix, but not necessarily the explanation.

The reason your 3rd step is numbered "4" is that you are using only one
numbering block and only one numbering series in your tag definitions.
The fact that you change from "n=" to "a=" in the tag definitions
changes only the *appearance* of the numbering variable; it does not
refer to, or create, a *second* variable.

So you have a single variable, but both your Numbered1 and your
Numbered2 tags reset it to a value of one.  Each subsequent tag, whether
an "n+" or an "a+" simply increments the same variable, while displaying
it as a digit or a character.

As you've seen from other replies, the way to create more than one
variable is either to define more than one numbering series, each with
its own variable numbering block (Rick Quatro's first suggestion, using
"N:" and "L:" to label the series) or to put several numbering blocks in
a single numbering series and then control their value and visibility by
changing what you type within the <brackets> (Rick's second suggestion).

Note that Rick has also labelled the series "N:" in his second
suggestion, although that's not strictly necessary.  It's just good
practice that helps to prevent inadvertently messing things up if you
also create figures or tables that should be numbered independently.  So
you might have "N:" for the series that numbers content paragraphs, "F:"
for numbering figure captions, "T:" for tables, and so on, all operating
independently.  Series labels are one-character long and case-sensitive
(always followed by a colon), so you can create lots of 'em if you need to.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator