nested alpha lists and bulleted lists within numbered lists

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Thu Jun 23 06:31:48 PDT 2011

Hi Joe

What you need to understand is that the < > is a placeholder for a number (or letter), and n or a simply defines whether it will be a number or a letter. So if you have:
<n=1> - gives 1
<n+> - gives 2
<a=1> - gives a
<a+> - gives b
<a+> - gives c
<n+> - gives 4

Why? Since you have only one placeholder in each paragraph, with no series identifier, Frame treats them as a single series, whether you tell it to use arabic numbers, letters, roman numerals, or whatever. The first two are obvious. In the third one you have reset the number of the sequence back to 1, while telling Frame to make it alphabetic. So the next ones carry on from there - that is, 2, 3, and 4. The last paragraph therefore is the fourth in the sequence, not the third as you expect.

Your mistake is that you think the paragraph format that you apply makes any difference. In contrast, it is the number of placeholders in the series that makes the difference.

What you should do is this:

Either define two paragraph formats that each use two placeholders, < >< >, and control them separately; or, as Rick suggests, use series identifiers to distinguish two separate series.

So you could accomplish what you want by doing:

<n=1>< > - gives 1 - apply Numbered1 para format
  <n+>< > - gives 2 - apply Numbered1 para format
  < ><a=1> - gives a and maintains the value of n - apply Numbered2 para format
  < ><a+> - gives b and maintains the value of n - apply Numbered2 para format
  < ><a+> - gives c and maintains the value of n - apply Numbered2 para format
  <n+>< > - gives 3 and maintains the value of a - apply Numbered para format

Or by doing:

N:<n=1> - gives 1 - Numbered1 para format
    N:<n+> - gives 2 - Numbered1 para format