So how many of us are stuck with Frame 7.2?

steve at siliconprairiesoftware.com steve at siliconprairiesoftware.com
Tue Mar 1 21:53:39 PST 2011

[Sorry for the long message. A download at the could make it worthwhile.]

It's not an uncommon situation. I have several large documentation sets I
maintain that are on FrameMaker 7.0, and it's likely that's where
management says they will stay for now.

I personally have seen some of the problems that have been reported with
running older versions of Frame on Windows Vista and Windows 7. I had
tried using the compatibility settings that Windows Vista and 7 provide.
The settings helped in Windows Vista, but actually made things worse in
Windows 7. I would get the graphic frame dragging crashes, and have very
sluggish performance of the application even on very fast hardware.

My solution was to create a compatiblity shim that installs on the system.
A compatibility shim is a standard way to control operating system
settings for a specific program, allowing it to be more compatible with
the base operating system. A compatibility shim provides much more control
over the settings than the basic compatibility settings provided by the
base operating system.

I have been using the first version of this shim for a few years. I just
recently had to update it to work on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. It makes
Frame 7 function very much like it did on Windows XP.

Since there has been some discussion about this, I decided to make the
compatibility software available for download. You can get it from the
Downloads page at the Silicon Prairie Software web site:

http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com

It's way down at the bottom of the Downloads page.

Like the other software on the site, it's available as Shareware. If you
try the software and it helps you out, please consider paying the token
shareware fee. This one is entirely on the honor system! :-)

Hopefully you see the same benefits of the compatibility shim that I have.

Steve