Filename (Short) Variable

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Mar 5 13:05:20 PST 2011

K. Grace wrote:

>I would like to be able to incorporate the framemaker file name into
>the title of my document.  If I make use of the variable "Filename
>(Short)" I am able to get the results that I want with the exception
>of the ".fm" that comes along for the ride.  Does anyone know of an
>alternate method of getting the filename returned WITHOUT the .fm
>extension.

This option is not available natively in FrameMaker.

A workaround is available in the context of FM->PDF or FM->PS workflows: as
part of a one-time setup, you can place the filename variable in a text
frame, add short PostScript code fragments before and after it, and tag the
text frame as PS code. The PS fragments will remove the extension and
control the formatting of the filename.

If this approach is applicable, I can send you (or anyone else interested)
a .fm file demonstrating the workaround.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Free webinar March 14 (10am PDT), Walkthrough: From static PDF to rich
interactive PDF