Text insets (Martin Ley)

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Tue Mar 8 14:28:51 PST 2011

Hi Austin...

Regarding your big question .. the concept of "text insets" is certainly
available in other forms. DITA provides the concept of "conrefs"
(content references) that do one up on standard FM insets in that they
can reference any level of object granularity, not just a whole file.
And with DITA 1.2 comes the concept of the "coderef" which lets you have
an "inset" to a file that contains live code, not just content from
another DITA document. As for Internet coding .. most server side
scripting languages provide the concept of an "include" which is
essentially an "inset" to another file, pulling in the content of one
file into another. You can also use AJAX to pull in content from a
database or other sources into documents on the web .. or iframes can
achieve similar functionality.

Don't get me wrong, Frame's text insets are great .. but this is
certainly available in many other formats.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.