eps image looks lousy in Frame. What should I do differently?

Theresa de Valence TdeV at bstw.com
Mon Mar 7 12:57:33 PST 2011

Version 8.0p Frame
Version 10.0.1 Photoshop
Version 8.2.6 Adobe Acrobat Professional

I’m not sure if this is the right place to bring up this issue, but my
frame document is the one with the problem.

I have been making marketing documents in frame. I built the group’s
logo in Photoshop starting with an image I found on the internet of both
North and South America using, mostly, dark blue and dark green and
added some text into a file called logoc.psd.

Somewhere I read that the correct way to use a Photoshop file in Frame
is to convert the Photoshop file into .eps

I converted the logo to eps (logoc.eps). It was copied into a frame in a
Frame document where I use other text and graphics created in Frame to
make a letterhead-style document in Frame. This document is referenced
by other Frame documents which become my marketing flyers. The colourful
pdf works fine which I have distributed electronically.

Now, I’m building the Conference Guide for the group. The guide will
have everything but the outside cover printed in B&W. I am converting
everything to B+W because I want to control how the images will print.
In Photoshop I converted logoc.psd to logobw.psd and later to
logobw.eps. In the Frame document which has my letterhead style, I have
defined "colours" in frame which are 5% grey, 10% grey, 25% grey, etc.

In the pdf which uses logobw.eps the continents and text (in the image)
are very blurry. It’s as though the b+w image has been increased to 150%
of the original without enough pixels.

In both cases (logoc and logobw) when converted to .eps, the image (as
displayed in Adobe Bridge) is about 1/4 the visual size as the .psd. In
Frame, logoc.eps looks funny on screen, but renders correctly in .pdf.
In Frame, logobw.eps looks the same onscreen as it looks when rendered
in .pdf, which is lousy.

I’ve been using Frame for 20+ years but I’m a neophyte at Photoshop.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Theresa