How do I create a cross reference which uses more than one line of text?

Wed Mar 9 23:35:40 PST 2011

Theresa de Valence wrote:

> I'd like to use these two lines in a cross reference:
>
> Id 069
> Workshop Title
>
> so that my cross reference looks like this
>
> "Id 069 - Workshop Title on page 22"

You can't do that with a single cross-reference. But assuming those two lines are separate paragraphs, you could use two xrefs separated by the hyphen. The first xref would be one defined as "<$paratext>" and pointing to the "Id 069" paragraph. The second would be one defined as "<$paratext> on page <$pagenum>" and pointing to the "Workshop Title" paragraph.

Alternatively, or if the two lines can't be made separate paragraphs, you could use hypertext, which lets you specify whatever text you want for the link (but that text is static and won't update if you change the destination text to, say, "Id 070"). Look up hypertext markers in the manual or help for more information.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom