How do I create a cross reference which uses more than one line of text?

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Mar 10 00:14:41 PST 2011

Theresa,

You wrote:

>Version 8
>
>I'd like to use these two lines in a cross reference:
>
>Id 069
>Workshop Title
>
>so that my cross reference looks like this
>
>"Id 069 - Workshop Title on page 22"

If the Workshop ID and Title are two separate paragraphs, you can use a
cross-format which retrieves information from separate paragraphs: the one
you are pointing to (which will also store cross-ref marker) and one or
more *preceding* paragraphs with a specified format (using the
<$paratext[paratag]> building block).  (This applies to all versions of FM)

For example, assuming these paragraphs...

<pgftag=WorkshopID>ID 069
<pgftag=any>Workshop Title

   ... your cross-reference format would be:

<$paratext[WorkshopID]> – <$paratext>

(and you point to the *any* pgf tag when inserting the cross-reference).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Free webinar March 14 (10am PDT), Walkthrough: From static PDF to rich
interactive PDF