Slightly OT: Frame 10 landscape pages not recognised in Acrobat X

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Wed Mar 16 07:28:09 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am outside the proposed »collective wisdom on this list is that “Save as PDF” should not be used«. There are quite a few people using this and in automated processes it is one of the best options. Those people just don’t speak up.

What is a fact for FrameMaker 9 and 10: The so-called »pristine CMYK output« is not working as advertised in so many situations that it is common wisdom to recommend _selecting_ the »Convert CMYK to RGB« checkbox (and thus switching to the behavior of earlier versions). Because the Print to File process always works this way (converting CMYK to RGB) it may appear as if this would be the cure for printing problems.

Debra, what you describe is really awkward and apparently not connected to the CMYK issues, since you print to file. I don’t understand exactly what you experience. It seems you imported a graphic on your title page that used to be converted to PDF easily with older versions of FrameMaker but not so with FrameMaker 10...? Could you please share a little bit more information, like the format of the graphic and using which tools it was created? Maybe even the graphic?

- Michael

Am 15.03.2011 um 18:22 schrieb Debra Laroche:

> Hi!
>
> And yet for me, documents that rendered correctly for some time (going from FrameMaker 9 to PDF by printing to postscript (.ps) files) no longer show just one graphic I need on my title page. So I have to save that file as PDF to get the graphic to come across and then add that page to my PDF of the rest of the book.
>
> It's annoying (and time-consuming) that something that worked well before no longer works in a newer version of the application. I've been an avid FrameMaker user since FrameMaker 3 days...
>
> Cheers, and for what it's worth,
> Deb
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Lea Rush <lea at astoria-pacific.com> wrote:
> Hi Art,
>
> Sadly, regardless of the fact that Adobe has owned both Frame and Acrobat for quite a while, the collective wisdom on this list is that “Save as PDF” should not be used. Ever. Many folks have posted problems with this feature ranging across four versions of Frame that I know of, and I’m a relative newcomer. A few people have posted that it works for them, and more power to them. For myself, I’ve given up ever even attempting it.
>
> YMMV,
>
> Lea

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentation Technology
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Consulting and Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog [de]: http://cap-studio.de/