DPI Recommendation for Images

Joseph Lorenzini panopticon23 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:13:31 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to get people's opinion on what they think is the best choice for
DPI. Right now I import images into FrameMaker at a DPI of 144. This means
that the PDF must be zoomed to 150% if the image pixels are to match the
monitor pixels (i.e. it would be like zooming it to 100%).  However, I set
the default zoom in the PDFs to 125% because I thought that 150% was just
too big and overwhelming in a PDF. This means that the images look degraded.
I'd like to improve this.

As I see it, I have two options.

(1) In FrameMaker, I could change each image's DPI to 120. This means that
the image would NOT look degraded in a PDF at a zoom level of 125%. The
drawbacks are two fold: 1) I have an enormous amount of documentation and it
would take a considerable amount of time changing the DPIs for each image
though I suspect there may be a plugin out there that could automate this
process for each book. 2) Images would be noticeably bigger and take up more
space in the documentation.

(2) I could set the default zoom in the PDFs to 150%. The upside to this is
that its a very trivial change. The downside is that the PDFs would be
enormous. On a monitor resolution of 1200x1600 it looks big but ok, whereas
on 1024x768 I find it to be too large to be readable. Admittedly, I am
assuming that most users in a corporate environment would have monitors with
a maximum resolution of 1200x1600 but I don't know for sure.  Plus, not
everyone likes a res that high.

So what say you all? Which option do you favor and why? And of course, if
there's another option I haven't thought please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe