Book pagination confusion

Wed Mar 23 07:24:24 PDT 2011

Tim Pann wrote:

> I know there are two places to set numbering etc. – using theh Format menu
> while in the file, and right-clicking the file as displayed in the book
> pane and selecting Numbering. I was trying both and getting very
> conflicting results. I’m just very confused now. Somehow I ended up with
> the entire book set to roman numerals, and I KNOW I did not do that
> purposefully.
>
> I cannot find a good resource that explains exactly how to do numbering
> across a book. Any suggestions?

Forget setting numbering from within the file. The book-level settings will override those. And at the single-file-level, there's no such concept as "continue numbering from previous file." If a file is a component in a book, set its numbering only in the book window.

Setting up page numbering isn't really that complicated (and I thought was adequately explained in the help). Assuming you want frontmatter (title, toc, etc.) with Roman page numbers and the rest of the book with Arabic numbers:

1) In the book window, select the first file in the book and open the Numbering Properties dialog. On the Page tab, set First Page # to 1 and Format to roman (xiv).

2) In the book window, select the rest of the frontmatter files (TOC, LOF, etc.). In Numbering Properties, Page tab, select Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book.

3) In the book window, select the first chapter file. In Numbering Properties, Page, set First Page # to 1 and Format to Numeric (14).

4) In the book window, select the rest of the files in the book. In Numbering Properties, Page tab, select Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book.

If you don't want a separate numbering stream for frontmatter, just skip the first two steps. In step 3, select the first file in the book. In step 4, select all the rest. Two quick, painless steps. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom