Book pagination confusion

Wed Mar 23 21:47:27 PDT 2011

Tim Pann wrote:

> As I play around with different settings it’s become clear that when I
> set a file’s page numbering to “Continue Numbering From Previous Page
> in Book,” Framemaker forces the page numbering format (Numeric, Roman,
> etc.) to be that of the previous file.

Well, yes. "Continue Numbering" means keep using the same numbering.

> The next file after the TOC is Chap1, and I want that and subsequent
> chapters’ number format to be Numeric. The only way I can do that is by
> setting Chap1’s number format to Numeric AND set its “First Page #” to
> 7 (the TOC is currently 4 pages). If I instead select “Continue
> Numbering From Previous Page in Book,” Frame forces Chap1’s pages to be
> Roman.

Well, yes. "Continue Numbering" means keep using the same numbering.

> This seems inappropriate. I can’t both continue numbering from the
> previous file AND change the number format? Very odd. I don’t like that
> Frame forces me to set Chap1’s first page at 7 rather than looking at
> the previous file.

No, what you're trying to do is very odd -- IMHO, of course. :-)

You want the pages numbered i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, 7, 8, 9, ... ? Really??

My books -- and every other book I've ever seen -- are numbered i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, 1, 2, 3, ... Or simply 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ...

If you're not going to restart numbering after the frontmatter, then don't use a different format for the frontmatter. It just confuses people. At least it does people like me. ;-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom