Book pagination confusion

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Mar 23 21:55:54 PDT 2011

What Richard said has been my experience also. Never once have I had
to continue numbering but in a different format. However on occasion I
have had to start numbering with odd (as in in non-usual) numbering,
especially when lawyers get involved. However...

On 24/03/2011, at 5:47 PM, Combs, Richard wrote:

> Tim Pann wrote:
>
>> As I play around with different settings it’s become clear that
>> when I
>> set a file’s page numbering to “Continue Numbering From Previous Page
>> in Book,” Framemaker forces the page numbering format (Numeric,
>> Roman,
>> etc.) to be that of the previous file.
>
> Well, yes. "Continue Numbering" means keep using the same numbering.
>
>> The next file after the TOC is Chap1, and I want that and subsequent
>> chapters’ number format to be Numeric. The only way I can do that
>> is by
>> setting Chap1’s number format to Numeric AND set its “First Page #”
>> 7 (the TOC is currently 4 pages). If I instead select “Continue
>> Numbering From Previous Page in Book,” Frame forces Chap1’s pages
>> to be
>> Roman.
>
> Well, yes. "Continue Numbering" means keep using the same numbering.
>
>> This seems inappropriate. I can’t both continue numbering from the
>> previous file AND change the number format? Very odd. I don’t like
>> that
>> Frame forces me to set Chap1’s first page at 7 rather than looking at
>> the previous file.
>
> No, what you're trying to do is very odd -- IMHO, of course. :-)
>
> You want the pages numbered i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, 7, 8, 9, ... ?
> Really??
>
> My books -- and every other book I've ever seen -- are numbered i,
> ii, iii, iv, v, vi, 1, 2, 3, ... Or simply 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
> 9, ...
>
> If you're not going to restart numbering after the frontmatter, then
> don't use a different format for the frontmatter. It just confuses
> people. At least it does people like me. ;-)

If you insist on doing this then you can start your numbering from any
number you like. Just remember that if the page count changes in the
small roman format you will need to manually change the arabic format.

Alan

--
Alan T Litchfield
AlphaByte