Cross References not working in PDF

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Fri Mar 25 00:42:00 PDT 2011

Robert,

You wrote:

>Our standard documentation is created in Unstructured FrameMaker 9 and
>printed to Adobe PDF. We are noticing that some of the cross
>references in the PDF file are not working. These could be cross
>references to figures, tables, or other sections within the manual.
>When we look at the source FrameMaker files there doesn't seem to be
>an issue; we can CTRL+ALT click on the cross reference and it takes us
>to the marker without issue. ...

A common reason for random bad links/bookmarks is having "Create Named
Destinations for All Paragraphs" turned off in FrameMaker's PDF setup,
Links tab. Try turning it ON and recreate the PDFs.

There is no practical way of fixing such bad links at the PDF stage (but
using a PDF add-on is recommended to verify all interactive features).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants