Cross References not working in PDF

Berman, Robert RBerman at Gleason.com
Thu Mar 24 07:14:37 PDT 2011

All,

Our standard documentation is created in Unstructured FrameMaker 9 and
printed to Adobe PDF. We are noticing that some of the cross references
in the PDF file are not working. These could be cross references to
figures, tables, or other sections within the manual. When we look at
the source FrameMaker files there doesn't seem to be an issue; we can
CTRL+ALT click on the cross reference and it takes us to the marker
without issue. We are thinking that the issue is related to content
copied into the document from different FrameMaker files. When we create
new content (example: anchored frame followed by a figure caption) and
create a cross reference the link works fine in the generated PDF. To
fix the problem we followed these steps:

1) Manually clicked on all of the links in the generated PDF and
identified the cross references that are not working.

2) Opened the source FrameMaker files in question, CTRL+ALT click the
non-working cross reference, and delete the marker.

3) Used the Cross References pod to identify any unresolved cross