Can't Create a PDF with Watermark AND Enabled Comments

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon May 2 12:01:02 PDT 2011

On 02/05/2011 2:49 PM, Nancy Allison wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I am using FrameMaker 10, Adobe Acrobat Pro X, and Windows 7.
>
> I cannot successfully enable commenting rights AND put a Draft watermark on the same PDF. Sooner or later I get the error message "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation."
>
> Here are the attempts I've made:
>
> Attempt #1:
>
> 1. From within the FrameMaker book file I select "Save as Review PDF" -- "Enable Commenting in Reader."
> 2. Within Adobe Acrobat Pro X I add the Draft watermark.
> 3. I select Save and get the error message about not having sufficient rights for the operation.

That's not surprising; when you enable commenting, Acrobat automatically
changes the security settings to disallow changes to the document.

> Attempt #2:
>
> 1. From within the book file I select "Save as PDF."
> 2. I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro X and add the Draft watermark without any problem.
> 3. From within Adobe "Save As" --  "Reader Extended PDF" -- "Enable Commenting and Measuring."
> 4. I get the error message.

Have you tried a regular Save after step 2, before step 3?  (Maybe with
a close and re-open step, too.)

Can you do steps 1 and 3 without the error message?  (I.e., eliminate
the watermark addition as a factor in the problem.)

> Attempt #3:
>
> 1. I go online and look for answers. I follow up on suggestions as follows:
> 2. I right-click the Acrobat Pro icon and select "Run as Administrator." Try again, makes no difference.
> 3. I select open Acrobat Pro Properties and make myself administrator. I also run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Makes no difference.
>
> What is the answer to this crazy problem??

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator