Can't Create a PDF with Watermark AND Enabled Comments

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Mon May 2 11:49:28 PDT 2011

Hi, all.

I am using FrameMaker 10, Adobe Acrobat Pro X, and Windows 7.

I cannot successfully enable commenting rights AND put a Draft watermark on the same PDF. Sooner or later I get the error message "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation."

Here are the attempts I've made:

Attempt #1:

1. From within the FrameMaker book file I select "Save as Review PDF" -- "Enable Commenting in Reader."
2. Within Adobe Acrobat Pro X I add the Draft watermark.
3. I select Save and get the error message about not having sufficient rights for the operation.

Attempt #2:

1. From within the book file I select "Save as PDF."
2. I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro X and add the Draft watermark without any problem.
3. From within Adobe "Save As" --  "Reader Extended PDF" -- "Enable Commenting and Measuring."
4. I get the error message.

Attempt #3:

1. I go online and look for answers. I follow up on suggestions as follows:
2. I right-click the Acrobat Pro icon and select "Run as Administrator." Try again, makes no difference.
3. I select open Acrobat Pro Properties and make myself administrator. I also run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Makes no difference.

What is the answer to this crazy problem??

Tearing my hair --

Nancy