Frame Characters -- Search and Replace

Mon May 16 12:59:52 PDT 2011

Pinkham, Jim wrote:

> I'm trying to simplify conversion of some x-refs in a manual going to
> Mexico. If it works well, I'll be using this conversion fairly often.
> I'm using ReplaceText 2.2 (formerly "BK ReplaceEm") to work on MIF
> files exported from FM 9.

I don't know about other list members (many of whom are more qualified to address your issue), but I don't understand what you mean by "simplify conversion of some x-refs in a manual going to Mexico." My experience with translations/localizations is rather limited, but I know of no reason why one would need to "convert" (whatever that means) FM's xrefs. Or manipulate the translated docs outside of FM.

If the destination text for an xref is translated, the xref will resolve to (and thus display, if the $paratext building block is used) the translated text. Unless the translators messed with the xref markers (which they certainly shouldn't).

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, and it makes sense to other list members -- but the lack of any immediate response makes me think perhaps not. :-}

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom