Frame Characters -- Search and Replace

Pinkham, Jim Jim.Pinkham at voith.com
Mon May 16 13:21:21 PDT 2011

Ah, let me clarify:

In my normal manuals, we have a chapter containing OSHA safety
resources, and various x-refs within the other chapters point to it.
In my Mexican manuals, the "Regional Safety References" chapter alludes
to Mexican "normas," and the other chapters have x-refs to those Mexican
safety regs listed there.

So, for instance, the Replace Group would include the following:

OSHA Crane Safety Quick Card
Equipo suspendido de acceso

The find-and-replace looks for all of the x-ref markers to OSHA crane
safety and replaces them with x-refs to "Equipo suspendido".

When I work on a manual going to Mexico, I pull out the standard U.S.
Ch. 12 and put the standard MX Ch. 12 into the book instead. When I do
this, the x-refs in Ch. 2, for instance, are broken because they're
looking for the normal OSHA refs in Ch. 12.

Perhaps I've been complicating my life unnecessarily, but what I've been
doing, as I come to an x-ref in Ch. 2 that would normally point to an
item in the U.S. Ch. 12, is change it to the appropriate Spanish x-ref
for the Mexican Ch. 12. Automating that process of fixing the x-refs to
point to the appropriate resource seems like a more sensible way to go.

So the problem is that the replaced x-refs have the aformentioned font
issue when opened in FM 9.

Does that make things clearer?

Jim