Chinese translation has garbage for index entries (also Mif2Go issue)

Celine Deguire celdeguire at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:18:24 PDT 2011

Hello

I'm reviewing Chinese Simplified files returned from my Chinese translator
and everything is fine except for the index entries displayed as garbage in
the marker dialog. In the generated index, the text appears to be Chinese
after updating the book. Upon conversion to HTML Help 1.x output, the *.hhk
file contains garbage characters for the index entries. The original files I
sent are Framemaker 7.2 format and these were saved as MIF before sending.
He translated them using Trados 2006 and returned the files again in MIF
format. We are working on an English Windows XP.

Upon return of the files, we attempted migrating the files to Help
1.X output using Mif2Go but the index entry output in the *.hhk file was
garbage.

As a test, we saved the files in FM 8.0  p277 format and the index entries
were garbage (mostly question marks) in the marker dialog and generated
index. As expected, after Mif2Go conversion *.hhk file shows entries as
garbage.