Non-breaking hyphen in Index entries

De Rosier, Edward Edward.DeRosier at anritsu.com
Tue May 24 14:28:00 PDT 2011

Hi Nancy,

	You wrote:

	Message: 2
	Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:24:46 -0500 (CDT)
	From: Nancy Allison <maker at verizon.net>
	To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
	Subject: Non-breaking hyphen in Index entries

	I am being driven mad by a teensy technical question that I KNOW
I have solved in the past.
	I have document with chapter-page numbering, and an index entry
that is a tad long, so it breaks like this:
	apple pie, baking at high altitudes, 4-
	6

	When I go to the correct Reference page, I find the format set
up as you would expect:

	<$chapnum>-<$pagenum>

	I have tried replacing the hyphen with Esc hyphen h and with \+
	Neither works!
	What am I missing? I know I have done this before.
	Many thanks.

Our index reference page also uses <$chapnum>-<$pagenum> with a
non-breaking hyphen, and it does not break within the page number.

Check that you saved the index file after you updated the reference page
and before you regenerated the index.

This would be the standard procedure, but I have made such errors myself
8-).   If you do not save the index file before you regenerate, the
changes will not be carried into later generations of the index.

Good luck,

Ed DeRosier
Anritsu Technical Publications