Index Troubles: No Openable Nongenerated Files?

Thu May 26 20:34:55 PDT 2011

Karen Robbins wrote:

> I have painstakingly migrated from Type 1 fonts to Open Type fonts,
> and equally carefully installed the new fonts on several machines. We
> have long dealt with false missing font errors. Of course I'll make a
> final pass for font irregularities, but there has never been one
> foolproof cure to that problem.

Yeah, old fonts can hide in unexpected, hard-to-root-out places -- like in the default paragraphs for a table format that you're not even using.

There's a permanent solution if you're certain that:

-- All the fonts you really want are there.
-- Nothing visible is using anything else.
-- Or at least, the fonts FM is substituting for the missing ones (listed in the Console window after you open a file) are acceptable replacements.

But you may want to make backups first in case you're wrong. :-)

1) Close all your files.
2) Go to File > Preferences > General, turn off Remember Missing Font Names, and click Set.
3) Open a file with missing fonts. When prompted if you want to permanently replace the missing fonts with available ones, click OK.
4) Save the file, making the font substitution permanent.
5) Repeat for each file with missing fonts.

This permanently replaces each missing font with the one FM chose to substitute. You can even control what gets substituted by editing the [Fonts] section of your maker.ini file. It's not exactly intuitive or simple (getting the font names right is the problem), but if you're interested, check out the Customizing Frame Products PDF in the Online Manuals folder inside your FM installation directory.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom