Index Troubles: No Openable Nongenerated Files?

Ben Allums allums at webworks.com
Fri May 27 08:51:06 PDT 2011

On 5/26/2011 9:28 PM, Karen Robbins wrote:
> Every file generates a missing font message! But if that were the cause
> of the index problem, wouldn't Frame stop background-file-opening at the
> first flawed file it encountered in the book? Instead, Frame goes
> through several files before the error message appears and the operation
> stops. And missing fonts aren't cited in the book error report.

Karen,

Here at WebWorks, we're painfully aware of the issues surrounding
missing fonts in FrameMaker source documents.  In addition to index
generation problems, it also means that cross-references will fail to
update.  Those update failures occur even when you manually update
cross-references with FDK/FrameScript code.

I'm not sure why missing fonts are such a "break the world" issue for
FrameMaker.  This has been true for years (since FrameMaker 6 that I
know of) and continues to be an issue with the latest FrameMaker 10.

I'd be very happy for Adobe to address this issue some day.

Ben Allums
allums at webworks.com