FM 8 to ePub?

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Fri Nov 4 14:10:34 PDT 2011

Hi Tina...

Since ePub is an output format, it seems that you should be migrating
from FM to whatever you're going to use for authoring/maintenance, then
figure out how to get from that format to ePub. Unless these books are
just to be published to ePub and never touched again.

With ePub, it really depends on what you want to deliver (from a layout
and formatting perspective) and what type of content you're working
with. Certain types of content are better suited for ePub than others.
The simplest option is to export each book to HTML (using any number of
tools that can produce very simple HTML), then use one of the free
converters available to convert the HTML into ePub. This will give you
an ePub file, but may not really be be what you want to deliver.

In theory you could upgrade to FM10 and RH9 (or TCS) which gives you a
path to ePub, but if this is just a one-time shot, that seems like overkill.

I just wrote an article for tcworld magazine that gives an overview of
ePubs and related processes. It might give you some useful info ..

http://www.tcworld.info/tcworld/content-strategies/article/is-there-an-epub-in-your-future/

Cheers,

...scott

--