width of table footnotes?

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Sat Nov 5 06:27:21 PDT 2011

Colleagues,

I'm creating documents that include narrow tables with multiple table
footnotes. FrameMaker constrains the width of the table footnote text to
the width of the table. I would prefer that the table footnotes appear
across the entire column.

For example, in a single-column document, I may have a 3" wide table
with five table footnotes of a sentence or two each. All of the table
footnote text is crammed into a 3" wide space.

I've tried the "obvious" things in the FrameMaker GUI -- changing the
footnote right margin (FrameMaker doesn't allow this), changing
pagination/column settings in the paragraph designer (no effect), even
mapping the table footnotes to a different paragraph format. I've tried
these actions in structured and unstructured documents.

Am I overlooking an obvious work-around? I could possibly re-implement
table footnotes in FrameScript, but would prefer to do that only as a
last resort.

-Alan
--
Fellow, Society for Technical Communication <http://www.stc.org>Alan Houser