FM 8 to ePub?

Keith.Soltys at tmx.com Keith.Soltys at tmx.com
Mon Nov 7 10:19:39 PST 2011

> I work for a small publisher, and about half of our (print) books are in

> FM8. In the last year we have migrated all new projects to InDesign,
> mostly because most of our contract book designers work in InDesign and
> we needed to be consistent with what they were doing. We have 8 to 10
> books in FM8 that I need to migrate to ePub, ideally with as little cost

> as possible. After this conversion, we won’t be using FrameMaker much
> anymore, so I don’t want to invest any more than needed.
>
> So… some questions:
>
> --Do I need to upgrade to a more current version of Frame to do this?
> --Is there an intermediary piece of software I need to buy?
> --Can anyone recommend a good reference (web site, book, etc.)
describing
> how to convert Frame documents to ePub?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tina

Others have offered many suggestions that I won't duplicate, although I do
concur that using Calibre is probably your best bet if you don't want to
buy something like WebWorks that has direct FM support.

You might consider buying a copy of How to Format Your eBook for Kindle,
Nook, Smashwords, and Everything Else, by Paul Salvette. While the
approach the author takes for the initial formatting (converting Word to
plain HTML) isn't suitable for you, he does offer a lot of advice on how
to use Calibre as well as lots of detail on the ePub format, including how
to work around or resolve many formatting problems that you might run
into. The book is only $3.00 in Kindle format. (I haven't checked, but I
wouldn't be surprised if it was available in ePub from B&N).

Regards
Keith
--
Keith Soltys
Senior Technical Writer

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.