Line-wrap weirdness

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 05:20:20 PST 2011

I have no explanation for what I've just experienced in (unstructured) FrameMaker (v 7, yes I know it's old).

Figure titles are autonumbered paras, left aligned, set in text frames within anchored frames that contain the figure also. Nothing weird there.

Every figure title in the book behaved as expected except one. This insisted on wrapping after the first word, even though there was room for the whole line in the text box. All attempts to:

. Edit the line

. Reapply the para format

. Remove any lurking overrides

. Weed out invisible but dangerous characters

could not cure the problem.

In desperation I copied the whole text frame that contained the aberrant figure title, pasted it to a new FrameMaker document, then copied and pasted it back.

End of problem.

I have no idea what was going on here, but I offer this as a last-resort 'fix' for line-wrap weirdnesses. Maybe someone else can explain it. I don't like it when the sort of thing that you have to do in Word crops up in FrameMaker.

--
Steve